Miss Philippines as Miss Universe 2015 – Finally!!!
I could not contain being ecstatic when Ms. Pia Wurtzbach won the title. Despite of that famous, huge blunder by Steve Harvey. In fairness to him, I admire him for correcting his mistake immediately, if they will retract it at a later time, they would have spelled trouble and the integrity of this award giving body will be at stake.
My overwhelming happiness for the ever-confident Pia Wurtzbach’s bagging this year’s Miss Universe title, it’s been years, almost my age, through the years, these are the countless reasons for such joy:
1. I am a Filipina
2. I am personally hoping for every representative to get it since Filipinas are known for their beauty, uniqueness and intelligence
3. I was a fan of Ms. Miriam Quiambao – Miss Universe – 1st runner up 1999
4. Back in my teenage life, I was motivated by my relatives to join pageants. And had I grown taller, I could have tried my luck. This is because an elder cousin of mine then won the Ms. Maja Philippines and she was a runner-up of Ms. Student canteen too. They wanted our batch to achieve the same, they asked me to have my teeth on braces, they taught me to exercise a lot, they made me practice to smile all the time, chin-up on pictures taken, to get used to wearing stilettos, etc. Unfortunately, my height at 5’2″ stopped at that, I honestly felt disappointed with myself for not living up to my clans’ expectations, that’s why for every win, and for every contestant whose color is like mine – copper skinned or mulato or in our native language is “morena”. I had this pride inside too. I felt such happiness for that woman and for the country itself. Perhaps, all Filipinos are looking forward to competitions joined by our fellow countrymen.
5. I could not forget Charlene Gonzalez’ wit (she landed top 6 – Miss Universe 1994) of answering a question thrown at her with another question. Very witty. It taught me to think in depth. The question went like this: “How many islands are there in the Philippines?” Her answer: “High-tide or low-tide?” And the crowds were cheering after that! She was also able to answer the numbers. Such a display of intelligence.
6. Wearing a crown is naturally every woman’s dream right? Giving pride and honor to your loved ones and to your country. Such happiness knowing that you’ve got people or fans who believed in you.
And since the Miss Universe crown have been quite elusive for the country, the last one it was won by a Filipina was in 1973, I was only a year old then.
The first we had it was by Ms. Gloria Diaz in 1969.
When through the years, there were times that we were almost there.
Year 2010, Venus Raj, set the parameter. She landed on the top 5.
After a year, I thought it’s time for Shamcey.
Then, Ariella made it to the top 3 – Miss Universe 2013.
While I loved the Sarimanok theme (or is it a peacock) of her national costume.
Mj made it to the top 10. I looked up at that time to the delegate come 2015.
There was even an issue that a group were banning Filipinas to join Beauty pageants. When they thought it ruined us per se, the more that the world or perhaps the universe took notice of how beautiful Filipinas can be.
And finally, Pia’s victory is the sweetest. And the most controversial too due to an unanticipated blunder.
For 5 straight years, we landed on the top 10, top 5 or even top 3.
I was personally hoping for them each year. Regardless of what was lacking. Maybe a stroke of luck will do. And prayers. Since they ended up as runners-up, I just thought it is not yet time. Every year, every Filipino was full of hope.
And what makes Pia’s win more memorable is her attitude and grace while that huge blunder occurred. She was concern with Miss Colombia, very careful and yet, the winning spirit and grace had always been there. For the 2 girls – it was definitely grace under pressure.
I remember her telling Manny Pacquiao (when he lost a fight to Floyd Mayweather ) that she will recover the loss or retract said loss and wait for the Miss Universe pageant where she will represent our country.
It occurred to me that she visualize this as I watched her previous interviews prior to her winning, she is literally “confidently beautiful”! And for what it’s worth. She did her bestest best for this fight. What is meant to be, is meant to be. Her winning is meant to be. Congratulations Ms. Pia! you made us so proud! God bless you! =)